ICMR Summer School on Periodic Structures and Crystal Chemistry
DATES: July 27 - August 9, 2008
LOCATION: University of California, Santa Barbara CA 93106 USA
The International Center for Materials Research (ICMR) is pleased to announce a residential, two-week summer school on Periodic Structures and Crystal Chemistry in Materials Science from July 27 to August 9, 2007. The school will take place on the UCSB campus. The emphasis of the school will be to introduce newly emerging methods in the description, design and geometrical analysis of crystal structures, particularly open-framework materials such as zeolites and MOF's. Frontier research areas will be introduced, but the emphasis will on fundamentals.
Instruction and exercises will be at a demanding pace but there will be a three-day break in the middle during which students will be encouraged to audit presentations at a workshop on theoretical and experimental aspects of the design and synthesis of zeolites and related materials.
Students are encouraged to bring and present a poster describing their research work and/or allied work in their research group.
Areas covered in the school will include:
- Symmetry and space groups.
- Crystal nets as graphs. Introuduction to graph theory.
- Tilings for nets. Dual structures, transitivity.
- Taxonomy of nets. Regular, Semiregular etc.
- Knots and Entanglements in crystals.
- Periodic minimal surfaces in materials science.
- Deconstruction of crystal structures.
- Hands-on use of computer programs:
- TOPOS for analysis of topology of crystal structures.
- Systre for indentifying and determining symmetry of nets.
- 3dt for illustrating tilings.
- Use of databases of nets etc. The RCSR and EPINET databases.
- V. A. Blatov, Samara
- O. Delgado-Friedrichs, ANU
- S. T. Hyde, ANU, Canberra
- M. O'Keeffe, ASU
- D. M. Proserpio, Milano
- M. M. J. Treacy, ASU
- O. M. Yaghi, UCLA
Click here for the school schedule.
Important information regarding the school:
How to apply:
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.
Accepted participants can find detailed arrival and lodging information in the following pdf document: Crystal Chemistry Information Packet
Shared housing will be provided in the UCSB Manzanita Village Residence Hall which is located on campus. Meals will be provided for the duration of the activity.
There is no registration fee for this ICMR Summer School.
For further details, please contact the ICMR Program Coordinator, Jennifer Ybarra, at email@example.com